Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dinner with a Side of Annoying

Today's Eatocracy blog (CNN's food blog) has a hilarious article from a chef in Atlanta. In fact, it's a bit ironic that I almost took my parents to his restaurant, Rosebud, a few days ago. Maybe it's because I've been a waitress before, or maybe it's because my mom and oldest sister have instilled in me a keen sense of "proper"-restaurant-behavior, but I couldn't agree more with Mr. Eyester. In the article he discusses the "Amateur Diner" in full detail-- my fave. From impatience to pickiness, he covers it all.


Not a restaurant.... pie.
 And while I totally agree with him, I have to admit, I've been a part of the annoyance more often than not. I mean, take for instance the thousands of times I myself have been a part of laboriously maneuvering a herd of tables around a room much too small for my family. (If you've ever been with my entire family at a restaurant, I'm sure you understand the embarrassment.) Or, what about the occasional night that I'm craving a side of Brussels sprouts, not mashed potatoes with my meal? I think most of us have been there.

So, I've decided that, while Mr. Eyester is absolutely hilarious in the article, there are always exceptions. Yes, some people are more demanding than others, and some people have no restaurant sense, but that's exactly why we have to give each other a break.

What do you think? Is Mr. Eyester too harsh, or is he spot on about the annoyance of an amateur diner?

No comments: